A new community cinema has been set within the historic warehouse of the former Harveys Brewery Depot with modern extensions forming the foyer and café. A garden has been created on the former service yard. Harveys is an independent family brewing firm.
The history of the site from the eighteenth century shows the site as an orchard, the 1873 OS map shows a formal orchard divided into four quarters. Through the late nineteenth and twentieth century the site is developed with buildings becoming a former Postal sorting office.
The planting proposals reflect the aims of introducing a distinctive layout that reflects the history of the site and locality into the new community scheme.
Each quarter of the garden has a subtly different character.
The south-west quarter has espalier fruit bushes inside the existing listed brick walls and climbers such as hops, which evoke the memory of the brewery. A herb border is proposed along the entrance axial path to the cinema. This sunny south facing border will attract beneficial insects and birds.
The south–east is planted as a traditional orchard, reminiscent of the nineteenth century land use. Meadow grass is to be established under the fruit trees and a mixed herb & edible hedge forms the southern boundary.
The north-west is formed by the existing trees.
The north-east quarter is a delightful open lawn with wild flower plugs and bulbs to bring seasonal colour and interest.
“the proposal responds to the historic significance and character of its context in both its architecture and landscape design to deliver a valuable cultural and community facility that will be an asset to Lewes... The type and range of uses and the quality and flexibility of internal and external spaces will add to the town’s vibrancy as a cultural destination. ”
— Design Officer, South Downs National Park Authority
Awards: Sussex Heritage Trust 2017 - Public and Community Award; Building Crafts Award
Client : Lewes Community Screen
Architect: Burrell Foley Fischer LLP