A masterplanning competition to regenerate a disused tobacco manufacturing site in north Bologna to incorporate an exhibition centre, residential and commercial units.
The landscape concepts are to reinforce connections with the urban centre, enrich the public realm for work and recreation, acknowledge the importance of the existing built environment, embed sustainable strategies and enhance biodiversity. To further the objectives of sustainable storm water management the inclusion of green roofs on new buildings and drainage swales in the park area assistin attenuation of storm water and supporting natural infiltration and recharge of the underlying groundwater.
The masterplan is composed of the following areas:
(1) Galleria – Duality of enclosure and spacious openess.
(2) Exhibitions– The heart of the public realm.
(3) Boulevard – A dynamic space between buildings
(4) Park area – Parkland and car parking
(5) Conference Centre Garden – for quiet recreation
(6) Railtracks – experience the architectural heritage.
Client: Regione Emilia-Romagna
Architect: Wilkinson Eyre